Re: [OM] Damping Fluid

Subject: Re: [OM] Damping Fluid
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:24:29 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 fred42@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quick question. What would be the most suitable thing to use
> for damping a movement in a lens?
>
> I ask it in relation to my recent
> Nikon shift lens conversion. It has a tendency to 'droop' when shifted all
> the way up. The mechanism is question is a screw driven plate/groove that
> carries the lens body. Would I do best to apply it to the screw or the
> plate?

I don't know how the Nikon shifts are constructed, but if they're anything
like the Olympus ones, they use a friction pad to keep the lens in place. In
the Olympus lenses the friction pad is a simple velvet-like surface.  If the
Nikon's do use grease, I would suspect one of the Nye damping greases would
be suitable.  Be prepared for "sticker shock" though, they aren't cheap!
                                -mark