Re: [OM] More E-1 stuff...

Subject: Re: [OM] More E-1 stuff...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:46:40 -0500
The nonsense that's getting posted about this camera is truly
astounding....
No B&W? And what pro DSLR gives you real b&w...? Just convert using one
of many very very good PS plug ins...

4/3...Okay, either you like it or you don't....It sure hasn't caused me
any problems and I've shot 35 mm and 2 1/4 for some 40something years...

Expensive? No more so than similarly built cameras....

YOU couldn't figure out how to get the histogram...That's the CAMERA's
fault? Just push the INFO button on the back twice....first push gets
you over exposure points, second gets you the histogram...it's virtually
instantaneous...

Only three lenses? No fast telephoto? What the *#$ are you talking
about...there are NOW four lenses...2.8-3.5 14-54 (28-110 35 equiv) 50f2
macro (100 f2 35 equiv) 50-200 2.8-3.5 tele zoom (100-400 35 equiv) and
the 300 2,8 (600 35 equiv)....a 100-400 that's 2.8-3.5 is GD fast...as
is the 300 2.8.... Further, Olympus has promised an 11-22 (22-44 35
equiv) early next year, and several other lenses over the course of next
year, and more the following year - including fast primes and wide
primes...

Call me a curmudgeon - call me whatever you like...But I really don't
understand people who walking into a store, play with a camera that's
entirely new to them, and start making prononcements about it. If you
don't like Olympus because it broke your heart when it stopped
supporting the OM line, fine. If you don't think the E-1 stacks up
against the competion, fine. But if you're going to "review" the camera,
try spending some real time with it; learn its features; shoot with it
under real conditions; compare it in a fair way to the competition.
Don't just pop off a few shots in a camera store and start making
pronouncements.

B. D.
http://www.leica-gallery.net/bdcolen/folder-5839.html  - six E-1 images,
converted to b&w, shot with the 14-54 and 50-200 handheld - some with
flash, some with available light at 800 iso....