Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:33:52 -0800
Not really being a regular here, I'm kind of hesitant to post, but it's a topic that hits home. I actually am a "dropout." When I was 15 my first girlfriend was 18 and starting her first year at college. We'd been together a year and she was telling me how her being in college and me being in high school was going to make us grow apart, so I dropped out, got a G.E.D. and enrolled in classes at her college on my 16th birthday (being born in January made all the timing work out right). We ended up "growing apart" anyway and I left her college after two years and went off to a music school in Los Angeles. Straight out of music school I got a job at a UHF music video station as a cameraman and never went back to college.

Two years ago I wrecked my Harley-Davidson and broke my left arm in about a dozen places. I decided to use the downtime as well as I could and started taking classes again. I'm a junior at the School of Cinema at San Francisco State University now. When I was in college as a kid I was always on the verge of academic probation. Now I'm a Dean's List student and a member of a couple of honors frats. Of course, I'm also a fat, balding guy pushing 40. A lovely little woman at the hotel where I stay in San Francisco asked me why I was going to college when I should be thinking about retirement. Uh. Because I never asked for the years to go by as fast as they have, I guess. I still feel like I'm just getting started on something, not packing it in and calling it a day. Maybe it's denial. ;-)

So Lama, I don't have my BA yet, either, but I intend to get my MFA in a few years. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm on a mission. ;-)