[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4445

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4445
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:11:08 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] OT Green Cast (formerly E-1 related)

 > If you leave the thumbwheel on the back of the 1D turned on (there is
 a switch which turns it on and off, and Mike always leaves it on) and
 turn it accidentally, or brush it against something, it can set the
 exposure compensastion up or down by accident.

OK, ergonomics, not algorithms.

<SNIP>

The ergos are superb on the 1D, this is why I like it so much. The thumbwheel is very useful but it can permit accidental changes as I described; this is why it has a switch to prevent this.

I mostly hve my little 2mp S110 set at -1/3, as it seems to loose
highlights more easily than shadows. Of course, it has no histogram
display, so this is strictly from experience.

 .......With respect to green cast, apparently, it only does this with
 JPEGs and not RAW images.

All the following stuff aside, shouldn't color balance be the same with
processing to JPEG in the camera as in the computer?

No, because we're basically crunching numbers here using different algorithms, and the algorithm that says to do "X" with a JPEG tends to give a greenish cast under certain lighting conditions. RAW is simply the raw data from the camera. This is one of the advantages of shooting in RAW, is you can change white balance or fix problems with exposure as all the information is there, but "unassigned" as it were. Moreover, different RAW convertors will give diferent results. Canon's RAW convertor is regarded as the least good one, Adobe's is better, but most people agree Capture One is the best. Should be for $600.

<SNIP>

I suppose the 1D is about due for replacement anway, so they can fix it
in the new one and brag about it! "IMPROVED WHITE BALANCE UNDER MOST
CONDITIONS!! NEW PROCESSING CHIP GIVES MORE ACCURATE COLOR IN JPEGS!! ETC!!"

I'm sure all those things will be addressed. DIGIC will improve image quality also.
-Stephen

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!