Re: [OM] digital poll

Subject: Re: [OM] digital poll
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:29:24 -0800
Like so many others, I've been following all this stuff with much interest, more than a little frustration and occasional confusion.

One day I think I'll get an E-1, another day a D300 (yes I know they aren't comparable), another day I'm anxiously awaiting a review of the DSC-728. In the meantime, my simple little S110 does excellent work for casual family and friends stuff and even some rather nice more serious images and I just got another box of old fashioned film from B&H.

I think some of my dilemma is the age old techie's problem of fairly evaluating what I need and properly weighting the factors in the available tools. As with other technical areas those can be most easily measured and understood can easily get attention out of proportion with their actaul value in accomplishing what I want.

I take and print pics from my 2mp camera and think how important size, weight and ease of use are and that I don't really need all that much sensor resolution. E-1 sound's good.

Then I read stuff and think I'll be left behind with only 5mp, it just won't be enough. And my friends may end up with bigger ones than I do, oh no! I need something bigger, more powerful.

Then I read the comments of the pros who leave D100s for E-1s and the color balance and exposure problems with the 10D. Then I think about how throughly it seems Oly has addressed so many other aspects of digital image making, exposure, color balance, a unique solution to dust on the sensor, things that take lots of the backstage time out of making a good pic. If you discount mpixels as most important factor, the E-1 looks awfully good.

Oh, gosh, dpreview finally publishes their review. And Phil doesn't LOVE it. And it doesn't resolve what he thinks it should, whatever that is (I forget for the moment what my actaul needs may be.) And it's subject to subtle moire and Bayer interpolation. (Do I check at what size print these would show up? No.) Oh, it's not good enough, what will I do, what will I do?

Moose

garyetx@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I plan to keep my OM-4ts (and a -1n) and at least some Zuikos for as long as
35 mm film is marketed (and after that I'll retire them honorably to a glass
case).  But, I am going to make some conversion to digital soon for some of
my work.  There are several List Members who have made a similar decision
and are still on the List.  What did you decide?  C*n*n, N*k*n, or Oly pro
D-SLR?  Or prosumer EVF/ZLR (C*n*n G5, E-20, C-5050 et al, Sony F717, etc.)?
Or consumer digital?  What did you get?  Are you happy with it?  Would you
do it again? What percentage of work do you shoot digital?

Gary

Gary Edwards

www.peopleplacesflight.com