Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:22:27 -0500
At 07:46 PM 11/29/03 -0800, Moose wrote:

At least we agree on the Kiron 105/2.8 and both like making pretty pictures of flowers and other wonders of nature.

Yes we do - and don't forget Weston Master meters.

BTW, you should consider adding a Kiron 28-85mm, f2.8-3.8 zoom to your collection. It has a few negatives - it's varifocal, the aperture ring turns the wrong way and it's large and relatively heavy, but they can be picked up for a song and a good copy takes very nice pictures. I took one and an OM-4 on our bicycle tour this past fall and was pleased by it's performance (when I did my job).

Here's several examples but I'm afraid that you can't tell too much about the quality of the original because of the JPG artifacts introduced when I resized them.

<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/Ireland5.jpg>
<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/Ireland6.jpg>

And one of Mitchelle on a nice Irish country road:

<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/Ireland1.jpg>

Also, go to <http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html#kiron> and if you scan down the page a bit you'll find a copy of the Modern Photography review of this lens.

I don't like yam/sweet potatos, my SO does. So we were watching that most amusing and informative Southerner, Alton Brown, do a show on sweet potatos. One of his points was that anything you could do with 'regular' potatoes, you could do with sweets. My response was 'but, it won't taste nearly as good'. Hers was that it might often taste better. Conclusion, there's no accounting for taste, but it is crucial to how we live our lives.

Oh no, tell me it isn't so! You don't like sweet potatoes either? I realized that we had more differences than we did things in common but I had no idea that it was this bad! I'll forgive you though since I believe that you were raised in California and obviously weren't given a proper education. ;-)

Your comment seems to me to say that I endorsed the strong viewpoints that Moore espoused when I said "An interesting, moving and thought provoking movie, I can see why it won an Oscar." Or perhaps you weren't beating up :-) on me, but just taking an opportunity to blast something you don't like. Fire away!

I was taking an opportunity to comment on Moore's work and, at the same time, tease you a little. That was the reason for the wink and I hope that you didn't take it the wrong way.

I'm not going to continue to debate the worth of Moore's films or Rob's comment. I think it's obvious that I don't hold him in as high a regard as some others on this List and I really wish that the agendas of people like him and Noam Chomsky weren't brought up here. Their politics are very polarizing and I don't believe that it's productive to discuss them on the List.

Back to similarities of preferrences, did you ever find a cone for your Weston?

Shucks no! I'm still looking, off and on, but I haven't found one that I was sure was the correct type at the right price. I'd be willing to send you a sweet potato for one of yours.

Later,
Johnny