Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:31:12 -0500
Excellent summary, Moose. I would add only one point:

I, too, would like to be able to mount my OM lenses on the E-1 in order
to immediately fill in the gaps in the current limited E-1 lens line.
But consider the following...

IF Olympus were to release the OM lens adapter for the E-1, is it at all
likely that the members of this group would refrain from vociferously
complaining all over the net about less than perfect images they
obtained when mounting their old MF lenses on the E-1 body - a body
specifically designed to use lenses designed for it?

The answer, of course, is "no way." So given that Olympus contends that
its E-1 lenses are needed to get the most out of the sensor - and given
that it contends that lenses designed for film SLRs will not provide
optimal images - why would Olympus want to release the adapter only to
have OM users bitch and complain far and wide about the results they
obtain when using those lenses? Would the sale of a few hundred bodies
be worth more to the company than the bad publicity that would result
from the bad mouth of the E-1 system based on the use of OM lenses?

B. D.