Re: [OM] digital poll

Subject: Re: [OM] digital poll
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:32:43 -0700
At 07:19 PM 11/29/2003 -0600, Gary Edwards wrote:

[snip]

>...I am going to make some conversion to digital soon for some of my work.
>There are several List Members who have made a similar decision and are still
>on the List.  What did you decide?  C*n*n, N*k*n, or Oly pro D-SLR?  Or
>prosumer EVF/ZLR (C*n*n G5, E-20, C-5050 et al, Sony F717, etc.)?  Or consumer
>digital?  What did you get?  Are you happy with it?  Would you
>do it again? What percentage of work do you shoot digital?

Gary:

Yeah, I'm probably going to go digital for most of my day-to-day stuff in the
next year or so -- it's just too damned convenient for that.  For the
high-quality images, I, like you, will probably stick to my 35mm Olys and good
slide film until either the bodies or the market for 35mm film dies.

The prosumer model I've been seriously considering is the Fujifilm FinePix
S7000 Zoom.  Fourth-generation Super CCD HR, 6 Mp raw, 12 Mp processed, etc.
$699.95 (approx.) at B&H.  It's a ZLR-type model.  Considering I have a
4-year-old Fuji FinePix 4700 Zoom that takes pretty impressive pictures for a
glorified point-and-shoot, I'm expecting good things.  The reviews on
dpreview.com have been mostly highly favourable, especially from those people
who've actually bought the thing.  My major complaint about the model is that
it uses an EVF (electronic view finder) rather than a straight TTL system for
composition, focus etc.  I've tried a number of EVFs, and unless they've
radically improved 'em, manual focus is still a hard thing to do, so you're
dependent on the AF to do the right thing.

The E-1 simply doesn't attract me -- I think it's the high cost of entry
coupled with the relative newness (and therefore unknown future potential) of
the format that's got me scared of it.  If at least one more manufacturer said
they'd actually signed on to the Four Thirds format (like Fuji keeps obliquely
hinting), then I might change my mind.  But not now.  Mebbe someday.

Oddly enough, the digital Rebel has also piqued my interest, since you can use
that great Canon glass on 'em, and not lose your shirt in the process...  (I
know, I know, I speak heresy.)

Garth