Re: [OM] OM Tamron 19mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Tamron 19mm lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:58:19 -0800
Walt Wayman wrote:

The filters screw into the lens hood,

Same approach as the 18/3.5 Zuiko. Of course, it uses smaller 72mm filters.

which is a clamp-on affair. I bought my lens from KEH without a hood. I then bought a new hood from B&H, along with one of the newer Tamron 82mm lens caps, the kind with the squeeze-to-release doohickey in the middle

They should have received some sort of camera industry award for that lens cap design. It's only flaw is that it doesn't have a non slip surface on the inner squeeze tabs, but that's easy to remedy (with or without epoxy). My 35-105/3.5-4.5 and 135/4.5 both have Tamron caps. It is virtually impossible to put an Oly cap on the 135mm with the hood on, and almost as difficult on the 35-105mm, but really easy with the Tamrons caps. Unfortunately, they don't make a 49mm cap. I've tried the Hams 49mm cap with central squeeze tabs, but the design is poor and it's hard to use.

........Nice lens, though. It's great for that little bit extra the Zuiko 21 won't cover.

The 18/3.5 appears from tests I've seen to be a better lens, in addition to being smaller and lighter. I'm not sure in practice how significant the 1mm diff is.

Moose