[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4448

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4448
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:33:44 -0800

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:06:43 -0800
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] digital poll

>......trying to convince myself that the 5mgpx will be enought for up to 11x14.......

Skip, As of this weekend I'm convinced.  On Friday in the spirit of Buy
Nothing Day I went to the local Artsy-Fartsy Faire to see what my
friends and neighbors had been up to. One of the photographers there was
showing stunning 11x14 or bigger prints. A couple i thought were MF
because they were so sharp and showed detail so well. But no, they were
all taken with a 5mp wonderbrick and printed on premiun luster using an
Epson 2200. The photographer said that he used no post processing at
all, not even USM and printed the photos as they came out of the camera.

Agreed. The Epson 2200 is a breakthough in imaging quality, and stuff printed on premium luster on it looks incredible. We used those in our color management workshop I took at the Santa Fe Workshops in October. After using those 2200s, I was sold. You've noticed what I"ve been saying here all along...prints from pro-level digital cameras just plain look *better* than stuff from film...there's much more detail. When I show my prints to racers, they are just knocked out by how sharp and clear the prints are from my little Epson 820.

It's enough to make me toss my OM's in the dumpster and give up
photography  ;>)

Know how you feel....as far as I am concerned, film is dead. I guess Kodak agrees as I read in Shutterbug recently that Kodak is no longer putting *any* more R&D into film products. They are putting all their R&D into digital.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!