[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4450

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4450
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:19:43 -0800
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:23:22 -0800
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4447

Stephen Scharf wrote:

 They aren't comparable only in the sense of the bulld quality. I would
 wager the image quality of the 300D every bit as good as , and likely,
 superior to that of the E-1. Depends on what you're looking for in a
 camera.

Damn, I just put that in so B.D. wouldn't jump on me. Then I get hit
from the other side. :-)

Sorry, Moose, didn't hit ya from the other side. ;-) Just thought we'd have a discussion on what's comparable.

I think the differences, ignoring most image quality differences (which
I'm not in a position to argue) go beyond build quality. The E-1 also
has true spot metering, which the 300D doesn't, apparently better
overall metering accuracy and a unique and apparently effective
automatic sensor cleaner. Then the 300D has a quite usable built-in
flash, superior low light focusing and an already established and future
assured upgrade path in digital bodies. The upshot is what I said, they
just aren't comparable. Which one is 'better' will depend on the
individual user.

True, the 300D, the 10D and D60 do not have spot metering. To be honest with you, I think I have used the spot metering on my 1D maybe once. I wouldn't miss it.The faster and more accurate autofocus of the 300D, especially in low light would be a bigger plus for me. The sensor cleaner on the E-1 is cool, especially for a CCD sensor. However, the CMOS sensors almost never need cleaning...I've only had to clean the one my D60 once in the last year, and that was likely from swapping lenses in the field, as it were, others I know have never had to clean theirs. As for the metering, they look pretty close from my (limited) experience with the E-1 and extensive experience with the D60 (when you look at histograms). The pattern metering of Canon's is excellent.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!