Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:26:55 -0800 (PST)
>Good points Skip. I for one (and I am sure I going to get
>blasted for this one) am amazed at the attitudes on this list.
>Why in the world should Olympus care about a group of folks who
>tenaciously stick to twenty year old technology and buy nothing
>but used equipment? Get real folks...

Well, let me put MY perspective on this.  I WILL be buying a
DSLR in the next few months.  Without an adaptor, there is 0%
chance that I'll be buying Olympus.  I won't even entertain the
thought.  With the adapter, it will come down to ergonomics,
viewfinder comfort and a few performance issues.

Why is it so important that I have "legacy" support?  Because I
plan on shooting B&W and an occasional roll of film for
time-exposure shots which digital fails at.  I've decided that I
will not carry two parallel systems.  I've done that for too
many years and it really stinks.

Drawing parallels to the early '70s when Olympus introduced the
OM-1 is not entirely accurate.  At that time, the optics and
mechanical technology were advancing so fast and the culture was
one of planned obsolecense.  A camera system five years old was
ancient technology.  (kinda like digital today)  Canon, when it
introduced the EOS line, took a HUGE risk.  They lost a lot of
pros and pro-ams out of the deal, but they made a fortune off of
the crowd of geek-moths that flew to the light of electronic
features.  It took several years, but eventually the pros
adopted the EOS system.

I agree with Walt on his analysis of which class of users should
have already adopted digital, etc.  However, there was a class
of users that he left out.  The weekend warrier types, like me,
that require our stuff to pay its own way, yet on limited
revenues due to market/time constraints.  I've milked my system
for as long as I could get away with it.  Digital is a must, and
economically, it is finally getting there.

That D2H is looking mighty fine.  I can pick up an F100 or F5
pretty cheep, along with plenty of "legacy glass".

So, Olympus, what will it be?  I expect and am planning to spend
about $10,000 over two-three years into a new digital system.
There is only one way that I'll even consider directing that
cash your direction.

This is no idle threat.  Consider how many Canon systems have
been puchased by people on this list already!  And primarily for
ONE reason--the existance of an adaptor for legacy lenses.
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of going Canon.

AG-Schnozz