Re: [OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms
From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:50:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc:
So, Stacey,
Tell us a little more about the things you do at work...I kid, I kid...

ACHTUNG
The following may offend a true Zuik/ette...

Most people associate the 80's with bad hair, but in photo circles that decade
is associated with the poorly designed zooms.  There is tons of info on the
subject, you do not have to dig much for it.
If you really need a zoom, opt for something made mid-90's and newer.  Tamron
SP and Tokina ATX lines come to mind first.  The SZX (I think this is right)
line from the former, is also excellent choice, but they are slower, if this
matters to you.
I have experience with Sigma.  My lenses are 24-70 and 75-300 and have APO
glass in OM mount, made in 2000 and 2001.  The only Zuiko's I own are 50/1.8
and 28/3.5.  I have taken side by side pictures of the same subject with both
and the 24-70 (@28 and 50mm...) and to my surprize, I was able to see
significant increase in sharpness even on 4X6 prints (same roll of film, frames
next to each other, tripod)...I never understood the people who spent fortune
on 35-70/3.6 (was that the most expensive one?)  Each lens of mine cost me
about $60...
Digital, I would go with it today, but can't justify, because do not shoot
often enough, but I wish I could.
Now lets get back to on topic and talk about guns, SUV's and bad food...
Boris

This hath not offended the king.

Sir Thomas More (at his execution)