Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:54:48 -0800

All basically true, Jim.

RE the E-1 in particular: I'm interested but I wouldn't dream of investing until the market sorts itself out and convinces me the 4/3 format is "here to stay," at least in my photographic lifetime--which is fast evaporating I might add! <g>

There seems to be no little residual resentment in some quarters due to the perceived abandonment of the entire industry (or the threat of abandonment) for support of film-emulsion media in general. (I personally don't see that but others seem to.) And why so much angst this far down the line with the OM crowd eludes me entirely. The handwriting was on the wall at least a decade ago with the Oly line in question, and I'd suppose the only people who've bought into Olympus gear since then knew and understood this full well yet opted for this investment in the film side of photography in spite of everything. Good for them, or perhaps I should say "good for me" as I'm more or less happy being "out of step" with my ancient (and somewhat quaint) gear.

Anyway, you're absolutely right that buyers of used Zuikos hardly constitute an Olympus "market" so why indeed ought Olympus worry about "us" after getting out of that market? I do wonder why Olympus would bother with a prototype OM adaptor for their 4/3 digital gear, though, and then not market it eventually--or for that matter immediately--it couldn't cost the company that much to run off a few thousand and they could just as well be priced according to whatever the company thought made it worth its while to do so. No? This could, afterall, help former (that's the only word for it) OM customers decide to come on board the newest Olympus digital line as opposed to, say, Canon.

I'm curious what the image quality would be with Zuikos wedded to the E-1. Using these in stopped-down mode wouldn't prove a problem to me at times but would be a huge obstacle to get around for most of my street work, for example. The solution in my case would be to go instead in these situations with the lenses designed for the E-1. Problem there is lack of lenses currently, not to mention the money to invest in this new system, or at least lack of need to invest that money as I simply don't need the immediacy that digital offers. And thus I find myself right back with my old Oly gear, which works just fine.

I guess what I'm saying is I just don't see a problem here. But that's for _my_ needs. For those with other more pressing needs (working pros on deadline or whatever, which I'm not anymore) than digital might be (probably is) the best way to go. For those without the need but a burning desire (I'm kind of this way with power tools) than go for it anyway and enjoy both if you please. All it takes is money. For those without the need and/or lack of sufficient funds or some other perfectly valid reason (of which I'm confident there must be a million) then simply stick with some of the finest analog 35mm gear around. Hell, except for my own lack of creativity (which is legend) there's never been anything wrong with the images my Zuikos have captured over the years.

No doubt I'm missing something critical, but then I can't analyze knotty problems so good these days. No doubt someone on the list will point out where my poor reasoning has gone astray.

Tris

Good points Skip. I for one (and I am sure I going to get blasted for this one) am amazed at the attitudes on this list. Why in the world should Olympus care about a group of folks who tenaciously stick to twenty year old technologas opposed to, say, Canon. and buy nothing but used equipment? Get real folks, this is a small group, and of this small group an even smaller group have bought NEW equipment recently, and of that even less have bought NEW CURRENT product from Olympus. Truth of the matte is that we ARE NOT OLYMPUS CUSTOMERS! Why should they pander to us. I would guess that the real reason the OM adapter is not being produced for the E1 is that Olympus has determined they will not sell enough of the adapter to justify the cost of producing it! Doro put it well, the group is small, and old. We are not the ones buying DSLRs by and large. Even if all of us were to buy the OM adapter it would not likely cover production costs. And not all of us would, probably not even a large percentage.

As much as I love my Zuikos and my OMs I certainly see no real sense in using the Zuikos on a digital camera of any make. It certainly will not be a major deciding factor when evaluating DSLRs when/if that day comes for me.

FWIW, I agree wholeheartdly with Skip. The E-1 is the first digital camera that has really excited me. Not that I am in any position to buy a digital camera or shopping for one at all. I have, up to this point had no interest at all, the E-1 does have some interest for me. I will be very curious to see if the 4/3 system and the E series DLSRs catch on.

Jim Couch