Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Stacey Campbell <stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:44:04 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, andrew fildes wrote:

> Why zoom for offspring?

Frame-to-frame I'm juggling mounting lenses and not getting it done
quickly enough.  And when I finally get the 135/3.5 mounted I
suddenly want something wider than the 50/1.8 but not as wide as
21/3.5.

> They are slow aperture (hopeless indoors) and unweildy.

It would be rare that I'd have the 50/1.8 aperture any wider than f8
as the DOF becomes too shallow  -- for me -- and focusing becomes too
hit and miss for my film budget.  This implies fast film and reasonably
bright (but preferably diffuse) lighting when I'm working with the
previously mentioned speedy subject.

> Go with the 50mm and move with the child.

The "zoom with the feet" thing was mentioned by others, but of course
"zoom with the feet" and "zoom with the lens" produce quite different
images when the main subject appears at the same relative size and at
the same relative position in a frame.  Not to mention the problem of
framing with the 50mm lens requiring me to get in the middle of whatever
it is I'm trying to capture...

> The 3.5-4.8 is rubbish - made by Cosina.

Ta for this.  A few others said the same thing, and a few others got
in touch with one they're trying to sell! :-)

Stacey
http://www.pigtailproductions.com/stacey/