Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:09:08 -0500
At 07:44 PM 12/3/2003, Stacey wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, andrew fildes wrote:
>
>> Why zoom for offspring?
>
>Frame-to-frame I'm juggling mounting lenses and not getting it done
>quickly enough.  And when I finally get the 135/3.5 mounted I
>suddenly want something wider than the 50/1.8 but not as wide as
>21/3.5.

You need more bodies and more zuikos. 35-80/2.8 if you don't
have one yet. An extra body with the 24/2.8 attached is small.
Or one body with 24, another with 85/2, and another with 135.
The 135/3.5 is a bit soft, so you need to upgrade to the 2.8.
and the 180/2.8 is nice too....as is the 100/2....

>> They are slow aperture (hopeless indoors) and unweildy.
>
>It would be rare that I'd have the 50/1.8 aperture any wider than f8
>as the DOF becomes too shallow  -- for me -- and focusing becomes too
>hit and miss for my film budget.  This implies fast film and reasonably
>bright (but preferably diffuse) lighting when I'm working with the
>previously mentioned speedy subject.

The fast lenses in low light is for focusing accurately. The main
reason I rarely use the 35-70/3.5-4.5. It has to be a bright day
for that lens.

Wayne