Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns
From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:09:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc:
What I said a few minutes ago, but very politically correct...
Boris

This hath not offended the king.

Sir Thomas More (at his execution)

Original:
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:50:42 +1100
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Once and once only 'cos I like Walt's take on most things -

Americans really really don't seem to realise just how safe the rest
of the world is in comparison.

Of course, it's not all to do with guns, but they don't help. Moore's
message delivered in an exaggerated and ironic fashion was that guns
don't kill people, merkins kill people. Rather frequently. Disagree
if you wish but use good data.

I don't feel disarmed by my fearful sovereign. I suspect that Betty
Windsor is far more interested in shootin' than me. Rather weird
concept all that. In fact it was a very long time before I understood
that Americans demand the right to own guns in case the guvvermint
gets a tad tyrannical. I'd thought it was just a fetish. Given that
you've managed to stay relatively democratic for quite a long time
now, just like the rest of us with similar societies,  and that guns
cause all sorts of problems, it might be sensible to revisit that
idea.

I know absolutely no-one who owns a hand gun. Or 'needs' one for
domestic protection rather than work (cop, security guard, etc.)

This is not because I live in an homogenous wealthy society - far
from it. I work in a community with a level of ethnic and cultural
diversity that would astonish many of you.

I've lived in many rather ordinary middle class suburbs in my life in
England and Australia. Been burgled a few times (that's burgled, not
'burglarised' which would have to mean the process of turning someone
into  a burglar). No-one has ever turned up on my doorstep armed with
baseball bats, cricket bats, knives, swords, machetes, pointed sticks
or even much of a bad attitude in order to do me harm or take my
toys. Such incidents do occur, like anywhere, but they are very
unusual unless you actually believe the tabloids. Are you being
paranoid or is it really that dangerous round your way? If so, I
offer a cordial invitation to move out here - I'll sponsor you. I'd
enjoy the company.

Haven't even been burgled since I got a dog and left her in the house
during the day. Don't have to answer any difficult questions to
licence her.

All governments fear and distrust their citizens - they vote them out
for the silliest reasons. That's why they mostly do what we want,
rather than what the parliamentarians want.

All governments control the worst excesses of their citizens - that's
what they are for!

None of the above is ironic.
Decide today not to live in fear.
AndrewF