Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT
From: jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:34:05 +0000
I don't normally post on such emotive issues as this but..........

Several years ago after the Dunblane incident - a licensed gun owner ran
amok in a school killing several children (and their teachers I believe)
before turning the gun on himself.  The government's reaction at the time
was to ban all legal gun ownership with the exception to farmers & shotguns
(someone can correct me if I'm wrong).  At the time my father legally owned
several handguns which I also used to shoot myself (and greatly enjoy I
might add) and we were a bit miffed that the majority of responsible owners
were being punished for the act of one man.  Of course many of the
arguments that have been talked about on this list were raised notably that
a ban would not eliminate gun crime.  This is of course true and anyone who
thought otherwise is a bit naive.  However since then we have had no more
primary school killing spree's and as such that must justify the ban that
many (including myself) were originally against.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, as we are all entitled to our own
opinion....

Jason.

Jim Wrote....

Only law-abiding citizens obey the gun laws. This has the effect of
disarming the good folks but not the criminals. When the professional
criminals know their victims will not be armed they become more brazen.
There is considerable data to support that. All data on this issue is
suspect though because both sides manipulate the hell out of it. In the US,
much of the crime is drug-related so the assumption that criminals use any
logical rational is often false. I can't believe these guys that risk 15
years in jail to steal $50 from a convenience store