[OM] Re: Rumsfeld, guns and loads of other violence

Subject: [OM] Re: Rumsfeld, guns and loads of other violence
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:25:56 +0200
Hi,

> Living under the rule of a soverign that disarms (meaning it fears
> and distrusts) its citizens, a couple of doped-up, drunken or just
> plain mean thugs with an aluminum baseball bat can come to your
> front door,

If you think about fellow citizens as thugs, you fear&distrust the citizens of
your country.  So your country should do the same.

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know
> we know.  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say,
> we know there are some things we do not know.  But there are also
> unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Donald
> Rumsfeld

This is exactly the kind of intellectually sounding crap those Wolfofeld hawks
use to make US citizens paranoid, and to convince US citizens of an
over-agressive international policy.  Interestingly, hardly anyone believes
this outside the US, as shown in the recent polls that show even traditional US
partners think the US is the main threat to world stability.  Considering the
180 degree turn from main friend to main threat in 20 years, that's saying a
lot.

I had to get this off my chest.

Peter.