Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:56:20 -0400

> Er, pretty much all of my Ektachromes from the 80s are looking pretty sad
these days.  The >Kodachromes, on the other hand, look like the day I got
'em processed.  E-6 has come a long, long >way in the last two decades --
the new stuff is close to miraculous compared to what we got back in >the
day...

> Which is one of those reasons why digital isn't yet irresistibly pulling
me into its grasp.

> Garth

For some reason unknown to me, I stuck with mostly kodachrome 64 until just
the last year or two. So luckily for me, almost every slide I have has
stayed in excellent shape. But lately, the Kodak E6 stuff looks so much
"better", that I have completely abandoned the Kodachrome. I still wonder if
I can trust the stuff to keep well. I still shoot at least 75lide film,
and probably more like 90%.

So yesterday, as I was picking up another developed roll, two salesclerks
behind a nearby counter were talking to customers about digital cameras. I
made a comment to the third one, who was waiting on me (sort of fishing for
some rumor or information), that perhaps film might become unavailable in
the near future, especially slide film. I was kind of surprised when she
said that she had no plans at all to go to digital.

That is what makes the decision to go to digital so difficult for me, as I
am not only changing the method of capture, but would be switching from
slides to computer screen/prints pics. Even the photographer in the National
Geographic article said he cringed a bit at trying to project suitable
digital pics. And the cost of a projector is still quite high. A flyer that
came today in the mail does list a projector at $1500, still quite a bit for
me.

I think I've settled back into the "wait another year to see what happens"
mode. Sigh.
Maybe in the meantime I'll just pick up one of those refurb C3020' or
3040's, and wait it out some more.

Wayne