Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:02:09 -0800
I've noticed this too. I have 8x10 prints from both 35mm and my little 2.1mp S110 pinned up on a cork board. People are generally more impressed by the prints from the DC.

Now, these aren't photographers and they are looking from 4+ feet away, not from a foot or with a magnifier, but there is, as you say, a "special look that jumps right out at you". I think at least part of it is in subtle details of color accuracy. We are really sensitive to accuracy in the colors of things we are familiar with. Color films have slightly different curves in the different color layers and all of them are only linear in the central portions. DCs often blow out highlights or loose shadows more easily than film (at least inexpensive cameras and the neg film I use), but they are linear right up to the point of loss. They don't have a shoulder, where the relationship between scene brightness and image brightness changes drastically, but a hard edge. I think this linearity within the range that they can handle is more important to human perception of color accuracy than we ever suspected when we didn't have the technology to achieve it.

Moose

Gregg Iverson wrote:

One of the things I like about the digital photos I have seen is that they seem to have that special look that jumps right out at you. Slides have that look to, but prints usually don't. I don't know what it is that creates the look, but it is very clear to me when I see it.