Re: [OM] fisheyes

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheyes
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:32:38 -0700
Mark Dapoz wrote:
If the bubbles look like little white spots then it's likely the black paint which is on the edge (back) of the front element separating from the glass.

then John Hermanson wrote:
Edges of the elements are painted black to reduce reflections. Bubble may be under the black paint. You'd have to strip the old paint, repainting may
fix it.

Yes, I'm now convinced that this is the problem.

back to Mark Dapoz:
Since the parts diagram shows the rings as separate parts, they should separate from the front element. If they're really stuck on then it may be best to
just leave things as they are.

I'm now pretty sure that they aren't on the parts diagram. I think the rings I see on the diagram are for retaining the 2nd element. Yes, the brass ring seems to be fairly well attached, so I doubt I could get it off without pulling a lot of paint with it. I can't see these bubbles having much effect, other than to slightly reduce flare resistance (a flare-resistant fisheye is almost an oxymoron anyway). When I first saw them, I thought they might be extending into the element, but now I think that I'm seeing the bubbles reflected off the back surface of the element. For those who haven't seen it, take a look at the e-sif to see just how curved this element is!

Pulling them off may take much of the paint
with it. You can of course re-paint the back of the element but you'll still be able to see where the old paint came off. Unless these spots are really bad, I'd say leave things as they are, it's very easy to make things worse.
Just ask Albert about his focusing screen :-)

Haha! I know quite a lot about making things worse! I think my mom still can't quite believe that I'm capable of getting anything back together, after all the stuff I "fixed" growing up :) These days, I usually get things together in better shape than I started, though not always. Unless I can see any effects of the bubbles in pictures, I'm just going to leave it alone.

Mark