Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns
From: Jerry Liles <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:55:17 -0600
Now come on, this is getting ridiculous. Nobody forced you to take McDonalds, just like nobody forced us to take Fosters Beer or Australian wines. Somehow I doubt Australian, or any other counties foreign policy could be called altruistic. To lay the blame for all the world's problems and failures on the USA is foolish. Who finally intervened in the Balkans to stop the massacres there? The EU? If it was up to them it would still be going on. Who shouldered the greater burden of the cold war that kept Europe free to complain? France? Germany? Australia? Belgium? Would they really prefer being dominated by the Soviet Union? Where was the outcry when the French tacitly aquiesed in the massacres of Tutsis in Rawanda? I don't recall anybody complaining about the massacres of innocents in Iraq, but they sure can complain when someone tries to stop it. France seems more interested in all the sweet deals it had with Saddam than in hundreds of thousands of lives. Now there's a solid moral position for you. Perhaps you don't remember all the American GIs that died in the Pacific helping Australia protect itself from invasion? It seems there is nothing we can do that is right. If we intervene we are aggressiors, if we refrain we are cowardly. Funny thing, it's the same people complaining. So, if you don't like McDonalds, don't eat there, but do send us a better beer. The wines are OK

I was hoping this thread would die.  It needs to die.

andrew fildes wrote:

A guy I know was complaining about how some things are in the United States,
his buddy said "why don't you move to another country?"  The first guy
answered "I would, but I'm worried about being subject to US foreign policy"

good one!