Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:01:09 -0500
I honestly can't remember ever seeing an American television show
that accurately portrayed the reality of life in the USA, or
anything even close.  I have long been a big fan of BritComs, as
we call them.  I remember quite fondly such shows as "To the Manor
Born," "Open All Hours," "The Irish R.M.," "Lovejoy," even such
silliness as "Are You Being Served?" and "Keeping Up
Appearances."  There are several others I remember, but I can't
come up with the titles at the moment.  Anyhow, I never mistook
these to be accurate portrayals of our British cousins. If I had,
I probably would have moved there years ago.

On the other hand, the series "All Creatures Great and Small"
seemed at least reasonably plausible, and I took it to be, at
least within the constraints of the medium, accurate.  Plus, I had
read the books.  Whether it was close to the truth or not, I will
be forever grateful to it, because, more than anything, including
the encouragement of mom and dad, it caused our oldest daughter to
want nothing more than to become a veterinarian.  And she very
happily is one today!

Pause here for another proud parent moment.

But if "All Creatures" had been produced here, every episode would
have had at least one shooting, two car chases, and Sigfried
Farnan would have had Mafia connections and a mistress in the next
town.  There would be pimps beating hookers and cops on the take,
and everything else we have come to accept and to yawn at over
here.

Please don't judge us by the crap the Hollywierd money-grubbers
make up.  It's not even a reasonable caricature.

Walt

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know
we know.  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say,
we know there are some things we do not know.  But there are also
unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Donald
Rumsfeld