Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:56:33 -0500
Fro my experience, many movies & most television series that are supposed to
take place in NY (and other east coast places) are actually filmed in Vancouver,
or California over 3000 miles away, & written/produced/directed by people having
absolutely no NY experience. Shows like "Without a Trace" a "NY" show filmed in
Vancouver with Anthony Lapaglia & Piper Montgomery starring - both from
Australia, or "Everybody Loves Raymond" supposedly taking place 8 minutes from
where I live, but filmed in LA!, along with Boston Public, & even Seinfeld (at
least the creator, a couple of actors, and Jerry himself were actually from the
area). All filmed in LA, with innaccuracies only related to inexperience, never
explainable as parody or helping the humor. (They were actually guessing it
hoping to be accurate).

But shows like Law & Order, and even the location feel of the Sopranos which
were completely filmed in their portrayed areas were far more accurate in feel,
but ultimately not in substance. (Scripts written in LA).

Probably related to the West Coast opinion of the east coast being seedier with
more crime, when actually there is far more crime & a much higher murder rate in
LA than NYC, surveys rating LA as 9th compared with NYC's 43rd of major US
cities!

Just some odd article:
http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/summaries/reader/0,2061,555972,00.html

Larry