[OM] Re: Different way of seeing...

Subject: [OM] Re: Different way of seeing...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:58:46 -0800

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:09:47 -0500
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 vs. full sensor, read it, this is an order

This would require a whole different way of seeing light, which would then=
 guide one's ability to paint in the mind, thus somewhat affecting=
 composition as well as previsualizing.

This is the whole thing about digital.  Things are DIFFERENT; our eyes and=
 instinctive reactions to scenes are sensitized to emulsions (allusion=
 intentional; kinda cool, eh?) and sensors and the resultant workflow are=
 different than film.

Earl, with all due respect, our eyes are more like a digital camera than they are anything like film. They are, in fact, R/G/B sensors (much like a digital camera) capable of distinguishing over 12,000,000 colors. Moreover, our brain uses what is effectively a "look-up table" to map the colors that we see; just a computer does. For more in formation on how our brain sees color; check out Edwin Land's Retinex Theory of Color Perception (Land, Edwin H. "Recent Advances in Retinex Theory and Some Implications for Cortical Computations: Color Vision and the Natural Image", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol. 80 pp. 5163-5169; August 1983 Physics). Understanding how we see color and how to meaningfully describe color is what color scientists do. But, yes, sensors and the resultant workflow are different than black and white printing with an enlarger. Truth be told, though, the majority of working pros not do this anymore when they work with film, e.g. medium format. They make scans, either from a Heidelberg or Imacon Flextight, and then go to Epson 2200, Epson 7600 or 9600, or Fuji Frontier or LightJet for output. This is in fact, the workflow that many fine art and landscape or wildlife photographers now use; including the late Galen Rowell. One of the the reasons, workflow issues aside, is that digital prints *look better* than chemically produced prints.

What I want from a digital image is not necessarily=
 "better" resolution, dynamic range, etc. (although those are important),=
 but the ability to convey the feeling/emotion that  I know how to do so=
 well with the methods I worked so hard to master.  And the re-inve$tment=
 is a consideration.  And if the damn camera doesn't feel like an OM (or=
 better) in my hand, it's another hurdle.

Anyway, 12,000,000 colors; that's a pretty big color gamut. Nothing comes close to reproducing that gamut, *including* color slide film. As for conveying feeling/emotion, look at any of the Iraq war stuff that was shot by the photojournalists there; or better yet, take a look at the incredible work of the photojournalists covering the So. Cal wildfires; tell me that doesn't convey impact. That stuff is going to win a Pulitzer Prize for someone. Check out this link and see if you can say that it doesn't after seeing these images: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1040. Or, pick up the latest issue of National Geographic.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!