[OM] digital landscapes

Subject: [OM] digital landscapes
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 07:26:58 -0600
There are some problems here:
I'm pretty busy today, but I'll refer to the link tomorrow, but some of this
looks just plain wrong.

>The article is called New Eye on National Parks and here is what it says:
>As a pioneer in digital imaging, Johnson has been using various methods of
digital capture for several years.  The outfit he >employs now consists of a
specially developed digital back fitted to a Sinar Bron view camera, with
possible resolution >of 48 MP, generating nearly 150 MB files.  That setup
gives him a dynamic range that dramatically outstrips film's usual >five
stops. as well as extremely accurate color rendition.
I'll buy the color rendition part, but what film is he using? Some color neg
films can get past 9 stops. Of course, you cna shoot mulitple exposures for
highlights and shadows, and put them together in PS. Of course, you can do
that with scanned film, too. I shot a customer counter in a lab, with big
windows behind it. I took one shot for the inside, and one for outside, and
the tow were superimposed (by a PS tech).

>His digital camera represents the latest tool in Johnson's long term
struggle to be freed from the confines of film and the >stylistic choices
film forces upon us.  No longer limited to shooting at the edges of the day
in warm light, Johnson can >make beautiful images at times and in conditions
that would send many film photographers looking for a place to wait for >the
lad-day light.
This is nuts. All the photoshop trickery can't change the sun's angle. A
high noon shot isn't the same just because the light is cooler. It is
different because shapes are rendered differently. High overhead light tends
to render three dimensional objects as two dimensional.

Bill Pearce