[OM] Re: More E-1 photos

Subject: [OM] Re: More E-1 photos
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:25:58 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Went to the big "sale" at Keeble and Schuchat Photography today. Played with an E-1 again from the one of the reps, and also got to shoot with three of the lenses; the 14-55, the 50/2 Macro and the 50-200/2.8-3.5

Notes:
This time I used a newly formatted card for the E-1 so as to avoid any formatting/write speed problems.Camera was set to ISO100, and Auto White Balance was used. Some things I noticed is that the image review from the card to camera preview LCD takes less time,probably because of not using the Noise Reduction. I can't really tell if the write speed is any faster, but the red light still seems to flicker for a longish time after each shot. That's anecdotal, though, not a measurement. In daylight the camera focuses quickly, with a nice quick shutter release; comparable in feel to the speed of a 10D. Exposures, for the most part, seem very accurate. The Olympus rep told me that the camera only has 3-segment metering, but that it is quite accurate. It certainly looks that way from the histograms. I've uploaded about 15 photos to the Image Event gallery. Nothing was done to these other than downsampling to 750 pixels for web viewing using Fred Miranda's Web Presenter Pro, and a Save for Web at 75 quality. No color correction, levels or curves adjustment was done, nor was there any sharpening done. You will note that the auto white balance renders a greenish cast to the lighting in the interior shots. Outside, the Auto White Balance looks to be much more accurate. Also, the color looks to be quite accurate (that is, neutral) in photos taken outdoors; I don't feel there is much need for color correction when the white balance is correct, but I will look at some more images in detail looking at them with Samplers and the Info Box in Photoshop to get an idea of any trends towards one color or another in each channel.

Regardless of what anyone says, the camera still has notable trouble focusing with interior lighting. With he shots inside the store (for example, shots with lighting as shown in 13, 14, and 22), the camera often had trouble finding focus, and sometimes it gave a "locked focus" beep on subjects that were still out of focus. I shot with a 10D today as well for about 10 minutes, and it found focus much more quickly and accurately inside the store than the E-1 does; even with a slower (f/4 on the 10D vs the 2.8-3.5 lens on the E-1) lens on it.

As for the pictures, they start with image no. 13 in the gallery. 13-23 were shot in Program mode with the 14-55 lens. They should really be looked at in a color managed application. I don't think Web Browser support color management.

No. 14 was shot inside a "soft box" with outside light; focal length 52 mm; f/3.5 at 1/125th of a second. The shot is bit soft due to lack of depth of field. The lion's right eye is in focus,but that's all. Shot 18 was of some leaves on the pavement outside. The autofocus got fooled here and the leaves are soft for the most part, but another shot taken right after, no. 19 was better. The basket of yarn was shot against some seamless with studio lights lighting the scene. It looks a bit soft, too, probably again due to lack of depth of field and motion blur, as it was shot at 1/25 second, f/3.2. These were my fault in having the sales rep hand me the camera in Program mode, and not changing it.

Shot 24 was taken with the 14-55 lens, shutter priority at 1/250th, f/3.3. It looks quite good to me; nice, neutral color and good detail and texture throughout.

Shot 25 was taken with the 50mm f/2 Macro lens, 1/160th second at f/3.5. I like this shot a lot, though part of the leaf at far right is sticking up well above the level of the others, and is out of focus due to lack of depth of field at f/3.5. It is still my one of my favorite shots so far with the camera.

The rest of the shots were all taken with the 50-200 f/2.8-3.5; all at 1/160th of a second, at various focal lengths and around f/3.5-f/5.0; except for the portrait.

A nice camera. I think people will be very happy with it for the most part if they get one. While the autofocus performance is fine outdoors, Oly needs to do its homework on interior lighting performance, where it is still poor in my humble opinion. I can't help but think, though, that for this camera to be a success, it needed to come out a year and a half ago.

Here's the link to the E-1 gallery: http://imageevent.com/puma_cat/olympuse1photos

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!