Re: [OM] fisheyes

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheyes
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:35:22 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm now pretty sure that they aren't on the parts diagram.  I think the
> rings I see on the diagram are for retaining the 2nd element.  Yes, the
> brass ring seems to be fairly well attached, so I doubt I could get it
> off without pulling a lot of paint with it.

Some elements have a metal shroud glued onto the end of the element.  I
believe this is just a light baffle to keep the exiting light from bouncing
around the lens and reducing contrast.  These shrouds are not meant to be
removed and won't show up on a parts diagram.

Even if you could get it off, removing the black paint is difficult.  I've
done it before on a much smaller element and it's not easy.  No solvent I
could find would dissolve it, I think it's some kind of epoxy paint.  The
only way I could get it off was to scrape/grind it off.  It's something you
only want to do as a last resort and if the element is in an unuseable state.
                                        -mark