[OM] Digi adventures

Subject: [OM] Digi adventures
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:45:49 -0800 (PST)
Well, Saturday was spent gazing at the latest and greatest in
digital DSLRs that grace the store here in the silicon prairie.

My obversations as follows:

1. No E-1.  They have no intention of carrying it.  No suprise
here.

2. Canon D60.  Grip hurts my wrist and the viewfinder isn't
comfortable.  Strictly an ergonomics thing that is specific to
me.  Otherwise, a nice camera.  Tried several different models
of Canons and the same thing happened.  Sorry, but the grip
shape is ever so slightly wrong for me and my hand goes numb
within seconds.

3. Nikon D2H.  Yowza is that thing fast.  Running side by side
with the F5, you'd be hard pressed to identify the digital
camera as being inferior in any way.  Image quality is lacking,
though.  Nikon is going to score big with this camera.  Good
thing, since it is a BIG camera.

4. Nikon D100.  Viewfinder image is small, some of the controls
impossible to use with gloves on.  Nice image quality, and tons
of good features.  Unfortunately, it lacks a built-in x-sync
terminal and a couple other amnenities.  Very easy to hold and
use.  The grip feels good and the weight is nice.  Very low
profile camera.

5. Fuji S2.  Ditto on the viewfinder image.  It is bigger,
physically than the D100, but lacks the optional battery pack
which makes the D100 into a D1%. My biggest buggaboo with this
camera is the lack of a second shutter release for verticals.
It's also a bit slower in response and doesn't have the exposure
control that the D100 has.  However, the sensor rocks!  Low
noise, low aliasing problems and the color is so, Fuji.  The
body is consumer-grade.  I wouldn't pound nails with it.  I
really like the "soft-button" menu system with the second LCD
display.  Slick.  Much easier to get to important settings than
other digicams which tend to bury frequently used settings about
10 keystrokes down.  Takes AA batteries which is a huge plus.

6. Nikon D1X.  WOW!  Yes, it is heavy.  But so is the F5.  This
camera is the F100 with the bulk and weight of the F5.  The
sensor is adequate.  The color response is very, very good.
Definitely a no-excuses camera.  Best of all, the viewfinder
image is larger.  They upped the magnification of the viewfinder
so it doesn't look like you're looking through a window two
rooms away.  As heavy as the camera is, it felt very
comfortable.  I like it.

Knowing that the Fuji S2 isn't professional grade, I wouldn't
feel comfortable going solo with it to any shoot.  However, the
image quality and the compactness means that the camera is able
to go places that I wouldn't be able to take a larger camera
such as the D1X.  The controls on the back of the Fuji are far
superior to the D100.  Hugely so.

Anyway, the search goes on.

AG-Schnozz