Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:09:46 -0800
andrew fildes wrote:

Ah but the problem is that there are only so many OM questions - most lists that enforce a no OT policy eventually die of boredom because the banter is the lubricant that keeps it going. Most of the OT stuff is flying between old hand who are perfectly happy to answer OM questions - just ask one. But you have to fill the gaps in the rest of the time or it will all drift away.

I agree. The important trick seems to be keeping the OT from drifting into acrimony far enough to lose valuable members.

(And did someone call Philosophy crap? Hold my coat..)

Now, now. Remember that 'crap' is the manure that allows new things to grow.

When Carl Jung married, which brought him money, he wrote to antiquarian book dealers all over Europe. He told them he was particularly interested in buying Alchemy texts in which students had taken notes in the margins. He collected quite a few of them. What he found was that most had notations to the effect that the teacher said that the prima materia, often thought, or said in the text, to be lead, was actually the experimenter's excrement. That was not published in the texts to avoid any more criticism than was already about. This is in symbolic agreement with the Buddist idea, at least in some Tibetian Buddism, of the manure field of life, consisting of all the 'shit' we have lived through, which is absolutely necessary as the fertilizer from which movement toward enlightment grows. So, if philosophy is indeed crap, it's in good company!

Moose