Re: [OM] ( OM ) Photography books

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Photography books
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:07:49 +1300
John wrote

> 'Onya Brian,
>
> I'm starting to really feel that I belong now. I have both those Freeman
> books, the Time-Life set, and the 'Family of Man'. But I also found one of
> the more delightful essays in 35mm photography was Lancelot Vining's 'My Way
> with the Miniature'. He was a Cont*x RF follower who had all the good (and
> some
> not so good) reasons for not liking Lei*ca and he almost had me buying a IIIa
> in
> the middle fifties when I bought his book. It was an eleventh edition then so
> doubt if it was printed again. My 1954 copy published by Focal Press cost
> twenty
> three shillings and threepence in Oz currency. They don't write 'em like that
> anymore...
>
> John.
> Sydney, Oz.

I also have Lancelot Vining's "My way with the miniature" (12th edition) which
I bought new in 1956 for 19/6 (19 shillings and 6 pence) Plastic covers were
2/- extra so I never bought one. 19 bob was quite a lot for me then, and
photography books were few and far between. I had a Practica FX then, my
first 35mm.

In those days I read this book cover to cover.

I also have the Ilford Manual of Photography (4th ed 1949) bought at a school
jumble sale in 1987 for about $1, as well as "The Leica Way" 1953 by
Andrew Matheson bought at the same sale also for about $1.

All three books printed by Focal Press.

I still think the ones I listed first may have the most immediate appeal and
use. For one, their presentation makes them much more readable.

Brian