[OM] 10 favorite things

Subject: [OM] 10 favorite things
From: "Bill Stanke" <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:01:06 -0800
Hi Zuiks:

Up  here in the frozen tundra the only way to try out photographic equipment
is to order it through the mail.  In no particular order are ten of my
favorite (OM-related) things:

1.  Morgan Sparks leather kit.  A chrome OM-2n with the brown lizzard cover
could be the most beautiful camera ever made.  And, it's cheap (compared to
the Leica Hermes edition!)
2. Mirror lens.  These are really cool.  Suddenly, those pictures of far-off
critters and birds are *possible*.  The $100 cost of admission gains you a
whole new way of seeing.
3. Zuiko 35~70 f/3.5~f/4.5.  A dandy, for those times where photography is
not "mission one".  It's small enough, light enough, sharp enough, and
focuses close enough.
4. Zuiko 24 mm f/2.8.  This elicited a rare "wow" rating from my wife, who
is my harshest critic.  A great purchase from list member B. Barber.
5. Professional film/development.  Probably a duh! listing, but a relevation
for the cheapskate.
6. Polarizer.  Duh listing #2!  My waterfall shots are (starting to) look
like the waterfall shots in the magazines.
7. A CLA.  This may be duh listing #3, but it is pretty wonderful to use an
OM body that has been tuned up by John or Clint.
8.  Bounce Grip 2.  I've never liked the whole removable Shoe concept.
Speedy recycling, swivel bounce, red eye reduction, what's not to like?
Okay, they're heavy! M.S. leather is available, so everything matches, but
not popular with the PETA crowd, as a large amount of lizzard/snake/cow is
involved.
9.  Macro stuff.  Macro is cool, whether it is something as simple as a
close-up lens, extension tube or as complicated as a bellows set-up.
Another "whole new way of seeing" item.
10.  The OM-2n.  The SLR Leica should have made.  Happiness is saving the
$2,500 that I saved by buying the OM-2n, rather than a M7.

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Bill Stanke