Re: [OM] SN 100mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] SN 100mm f2.8
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:05:26 -0800 (PST)
>I have a degree of excitement about this because your comments
>of a few days ago have born-out the truth in some knowledge I
>gained many years ago about Zuiko's. I now actually believe
>that there really were some "truly wonderful" lenses made, you
>know - indescribably good, at least I will if the one I've just
>found is one of them?

A craftsperson will have his or her favorite tool.  It might be
a hammer, knife or file.  Pottery masters will have their secret
ingredients in the clay or water.  Painters will have a favorite
brush or easel.  What makes any of these tools better than
another?  Two master painters will have different preferences in
their tools of the trade.  In B&W photography, very rarely will
two master printers use the same chemistry or paper.

What makes a camera or lens better than another?  The majority
of people on this list have used the 100/2.8 and have come away
with the feeling that "it's nice, but nothing extradinory."

Expectation.  I have an expectation of a certain kind of result
from this lens.  I expect it to have a distinct look to it.  Is
there really a distinct look to it, or am I creating that look
and giving the lens the credit?  I believe it is a bit of both,
but whatever it is, I'm usually inspired when I mount that lens
to the camera and the results rarely disappoint.

Maybe when you get yours, that you will EXPECT a result because
of what I've written here.  The results of that expectation will
either be because of the lens, or your own inspiration.
Regardless, the lens is of a level of quality that will make
getting those positive results easier.

Enjoy.

AG-Schnozz

PS. First thing you will want to do with the lens is put a
rubber lens hood on it.  Keep filters to a minimum.