Re: [OM] Digital and the Olympus E System

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital and the Olympus E System
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:30:25 -0800

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 06:47 PM, Ross Orr wrote:

I feel like the E-1 and the E system have not really lived up to the hype. Image-wise it doesn't sound like the real-world quality is there yet,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/

I have been critical too, but to be fair the reviews on that site, while thorough, are dealing with minute differences in image quality. I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference between prints made from an E-1 image and the band of 6 MP DSLRs except for small differences in color rendition which could be adjusted.

And so far the E lens system hasn't delivered the advantages the PR claimed: Where are the ultra wide angles? Where are the f/1.4-class lenses?

New system from the ground up unlike the others and without the hoped for help of sharing the burden from the 4/3 coalition of the willing. It is a different world and a manufacturer just does not take the chance of creating a whole new system at once like Oly did with the OM-1.

Worst, contrary to the PR claims, the E-1 throws overboard the most beloved feature of the OM series, its *compactness*. The E-1 is BIG--though peeking inside the mirror box at the size of the vital organs, I find it mystifying why. The grip is too large for my hand (I have smaller hands), and the whole body seems unnecessarily deep.

Well. If you accept that it is a pro camera it is much smaller than a Nikon D1X or Canon 1Ds.

And I just don't understand why the viewfinder magnification is so much smaller than life size.

Because the image and mirror is so much smaller. That is the downside of a 2x focal length equivalence. If you are going to have a smaller sensor then you are going to have to settle for some combination of smaller and/or dimmer. Every digital SLR maker makes its own compromise.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA