Re: [OM] Digital and the Olympus E System

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital and the Olympus E System
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:28:42 -0500
Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/

I have been critical too, but to be fair the reviews on that site,
while thorough, are dealing with minute differences in image quality.

True--I'm just saying that the PR claim that the 4/3 system is The Only Right Way hasn't been borne out by the results so far.

That review makes one unfair complaint, that the "shading compensation" feature doesn't appear to do anything. Perhaps not with the standard zoom, but I think the idea is that each lens has its own chip, which would allow the camera to compensate when a particular design has significant distortion/light fall-off.

 >  And I just don't understand why the viewfinder magnification is so
 > much smaller than life size.

Because the image and mirror is so much smaller. That is the downside
of a 2x focal length equivalence.

Is this really true? Was the Olympus Pen this way? (I only peeked through one once, a long time ago.)

In the world of telescope eyepieces, you do pay extra for the combination of wide field of view and high magnification, but optically it seems to be possible. Why not for the E-1's viewfinder eyepiece?

Paul Schings <Pschings@xxxxxxx> wrote:
From the PopPhoto web site
(http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?article_id=766&section_id=5&page_number=7)

"Having successfully launched its initial pro-oriented, all-digital 4/3 E-1
camera, Olympus plans to release amateur- and medium-priced versions, both
probably with built-in flash. Besides cooperating with Kodak and Fuji in building
the 4/3 camera system, a major independent lens manufacturer (that we promised
not to name now) will be producing optics for the system.

Hope the new bodies are smaller! And things WILL get more interesting if third-party lensmakers get into the act--for one thing, the pricing should be a lot more reasonable. Tokina anyone?

sorry for all the blather,

  --Ross