Re: [OM] New E-OR system rumours

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-OR system rumours
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:40:26 EST
Cc: agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/13/2003 9:14:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> You know what is really interesting?  We stuck a 30 year old
> N*kk*r lens on a brand new F*j* S2 body and there was zilch
> vignetting or dimming of the edges in the digital file--we
> checked!
>
> Olympus marketing hype isn't impressing me.

The way I understand what Olympus (and Schneider and Zeiss) are saying about
problems with older lenses used with digital sensors, they wouldn't expect you
to see a problem with the S2, because the sensor is only using the central
part of the image circle. The problem comes with wide angle lenses used on full
frame sensors. I have read many reports of chromatic aberration problems when
the Canon 1Ds is used with superwides, just like Olympus (and Schneider and
Zeiss) claim.

The problems seem real, but I'm not convinced how severe they really are yet.
It will probably vary from lens to lens. I haven't seen any reports of these
problems on the full fram Kodak.

Paul