Re: [OM] New E-OR system rumours

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-OR system rumours
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:07:28 -0800

On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 06:40 PM, Pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:

The way I understand what Olympus (and Schneider and Zeiss) are saying about problems with older lenses used with digital sensors, they wouldn't expect you to see a problem with the S2, because the sensor is only using the central part of the image circle. The problem comes with wide angle lenses used on full frame sensors. I have read many reports of chromatic aberration problems when the Canon 1Ds is used with superwides, just like Olympus (and Schneider and
Zeiss) claim.

Except that Olympus makes the claim for the 4/3 system not full frame. Per your argument it would be OK to put OM lenses on the E-1 because the edges of the image are thrown away. Oly says no, no. Special digital lenses needed. Don't want to spoil our reputation with those old OM lenses. It is interesting that Leica which dotes on the quality of their equipment, deservedly, says rangefinder lenses will not work because of the tiny lens to film distance and they will not produce a digital M camera. But they have no problem producing a digital back for their SLR.

There is an additional factor with digital that no one talks about. Everyone is looking at little strips of image at 200 percent and looking for digital artifacts. What they are ignoring is that those same FF wide angle lenses that produce chromatic aberration on on digital also produced it on film. But people ignored it along with the grain.

And if it is difficult to produce a super wide angle lens for a 35mm camera that does not vignette or produce chromatic aberration at the edges think about how much harder it is going to be to perform that trick for a lens with half the focal length to get the equivalent on a 4/3 camera. A 17mm equivalent lens is going to have to be 8.5mm. How exotic is that? And how expensive?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA