[OM] SP Rangefinder; Outlook for 2004

Subject: [OM] SP Rangefinder; Outlook for 2004
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:07:46 -0500
Earlier this week I received an Olympus SP I bought off that auction placed.
Earlier on I had bought a Minolta Hi-Matic 7 as well.  While the Minolta was in
quite nice condition, and I have read that the lens is quite nice, I was
disappointed with both the ergonomics and the rangefinder window.
Changing/setting the aperture and shutter dials are a challenge; there is not
much grip there.  And the rangefinder is somewhat dim, the patch is low
contrast.  I have a roll of TX in it now, and eventually I'll get around to
making some pictures with it.  In the hand, it feels "OK", but does not give me
that "ahhh" feeling.

The Olympus, OTOH, has excellent ergonomics.  Both control rings are easy to
manipulate, and the rangefinder window is excellent for both brightness and
contrast.  It feels better in the hands, thought I have only handled it briefly
so I can't say WHY that is so.

The latter part of 2003 has seen a re-awakening of photo instincts for me.  It
has been a very hard year in most other regards in my personal life.  I feel
like I am finally recovering from several body blows, and a renewal of
photographic instincts is part of that, though that is still somewhat nebulous.
 I have revitalized my kit a bit, so I am simply hoping that in 2004 I can make
a few really good pictures.  I want to not really worry about the technology.
Film, digital... whatever.

And oh yeah, I also want a Stanley Cup parade on Yonge Street.

Earl