Re: [OM] Metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:31:55 -0800 (PST)
No one ever tries to use their camera's meter, no matter what type,
for astro photography.  You have to use a combination of experience,
trial and error, and some published tables like the one on this site
for lunar eclipses:

http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

200mm is a bit small to see anything of a lunar eclipse.  I took this
shot with a 200mm + 2XA, and I would really like to have more power:

http://groups.msn.com/firstlightimaging/astronomicalphotographs.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=426

This has been cropped for about 3X magnification vs the full frame
image.
As to how you got half the moon on one frame and half on the other,
that can happen if the printer or slide mounter cannot tell where the
frames stop and start due to all the dark areas - a common problem
with astro photography.  You need to expose a frame in the beginning
of the roll under daylight (or flash) conditions to establish the
framing.  If that is not the cause, then he probably lost alignment
of the moon in the finder.  It is constantly moving - the width of
the moon in 2 minutes.

--- Alienspecimen <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Events from a few weeks back when the big Moo eclipse was.
> I was with the scouts and we were just to go and do some stuff,
> when a guy sat up a tripod on the baseball field and propped a
> black AE-1 with a 200mm third party lens on it.  I talked to him
> and he offered to take some pix for me while the activities were
> going (wife had not arrived yet and his was there, so he had the
> time)  I sat up my OM1, showed him how to lift up the mirror and he
> already knew how to use the cord..:)
> I have never done astrophotography and had instructions, he had
> nopin' just the 'program mode".
> When I got the negatives back, they were perfectly exposed (
> please, I know what a perfectly exposed negative looks like...)
> How could that be?  The camera is more than twenty years old.
> Wife's Minolta S414 have spot metering and the spot is as big as
> the Moon at about 100mm and never gets it right.  I know my OM1
> would not do it (although it excels in everythihg I ask it to do)
> and the PC stands for piece of crap when it comes to low light.
> The other mystery was the way he took the pix.  I had the moon
> split between two frames, how did he do that?
> Can the OM4T(I)do that?
> Boris

=====
Don Shedrick