Re: [OM] My photography goals

Subject: Re: [OM] My photography goals
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:35:32 -0800
on 12/14/03 5:22 PM, Andrew Dacey at frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I forget who it was that posted the idea of coming up with goals for where
> you want to be photographically this time next year. But I've decided to
> take the advice and come up with a few. And since I'm still planning on
> shooting with OM, it's a lot more on-topic than some of the posts here
> lately.

I like this idea... and it -is- on-topic as far as I'm concerned, which is
fairly unusually as of lately. On my motorcycle email lists we call it "PMS"
Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, which usually afflicts the northernly located
listmembers this time of year... What excuse can we use for the OM
listers...?

> 1. Begin processing my own B&W film. I have the equipment to do this so I
> should be able to get this going fairly easily and it'd save me a ton of
> money which would encourage me to shoot more B&W. Doing my own printing
> would be the next step in this goal but my living situation may change
> within the next year so it's hard to say how feasible setting up a full
> darkroom will be.

This is one thing I'm hoping to do. Its been ~25 years since my photo-lab
days in college, and I hope to do the processing again. I don't plan on a
darkroom, since I'd like to get the scanner heated up more also... but I
might mess around with four-black printing (using a cheap printer and
home-brew inks...?).

> 2. Related to 1, I really want to shoot more B&W. I've bought some B&W
> filters to work with to try to improve the results I get. Obviously,
> improving my B&W work is the big goal for the next year.

I'd like to do this, and I'm also hoping that some of the B&W will be 16mm
and Minox frames, since I can't afford to shoot the Minox any other way.
Still need to get a Minox tank for that, though I did finally get some empty
film cassettes. Still need a line on some Rollei-16 ("Super-16"?) cassettes,
my Rollei didn't include any empties.

> 3. Like to experiment with some alternative processes. I've been reading up
> on some of these and it seems like a really interesting area of photography.
> Again though, living conditions might interfere with this.

Don't want to mess with this, but I can see the appeal. And maybe you could
say a four-black digital printing process is an 'alternative'...?

> 4. Shoot more medium format and large format.

I'd like to do some of this, but then I don't know how I'd do anything with
the results... 120 won't fit my film scanner, and my flatbed is woefully
short of resolution and lacks a transparency adapter anyway. But I do have a
couple of 120 reels :-)

> I know that this is still a bit vague I should really work on defining these
> more so that I'm not just saying "shoot more" but have a goal like "shot at
> least x rolls".
>
> Andrew "frugal" Dacey
> frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.tildefrugal.net/

Report often on your progress... it beats geo-politics and SUV's anyway...!
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...