Re: [OM] WWAD?

Subject: Re: [OM] WWAD?
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:14:24 -0500
I believe Ansel would embrace digital with the same attitude that he embraced
any new technology available to him: with both enthusiasm AND reserve.  For
example, he was generous in his praise of Polaroid Type 55 as a creative
medium, but he did not hesitate to point out its limitations and its very
specific niche.  He was careful to describe the limitations of smaller formats,
while not excluding their utility in the creative process.  E.g, smaller
formats could open the world to more candid photography, to spontaneity.  All
new technologies depend on users (in this case, artists) pushing the
envelope... saying, "I like the concept, but it's not good enough, go back and
make it better."  My first turn-off to digital cameras was shutter lag.  That
has been solved for a large number, if not the majority, of digicams today.
There are other challenges which may take more or less time to solve.  I think
it stupid that a digital camera cannot be modular so that its sensor cannot be
upgraded.  It's like saying "Sorry, this SLR can only take K64 made today.  If
we develop an improved K64, you'll have to buy a new body.  And the lenses you
have now may be obsolete."  That is NOT progress.  The beauty of film
photography was that as film progressed, the hardware was equal realizing the
improvement in the film.  To throw away that paradigm is a disservice to the
art.  That is not to say that digital is all bunk, but to say "I like the
concept, but it's not good enough, go back and make it better."

Earl