[OM] E-1 reviewed in PC World

Subject: [OM] E-1 reviewed in PC World
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:05:19 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: >   From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:31:00 -0800
>> On Dec 16, 2003, at 9:31 AM, Stephen Scharf wrote:
>>
>> The little lens that comes with the Digital Rebel a"kit" is intended
>> strictly for digital; won't work on a film body (the image circle is
>> too small). It's only a $100 lens, but apparently is quite a good one.

>If you believe Oly that is not true.

Not sure I believe them at this point in time, Winsor. They've not proven to me
(yet) their design philosophy results in images that look better than images
taken with lenses designed for 35 mm. Especially as the reason they made that
adapter for old Zuikos that everyone is pining for is so they *could* use old
Zuikos as part of the camera's development before they had these new lenses!

>That lens is a recycled APS film lens. The reason for the unique mount is not
>that it is digital, but
>that it recesses into the camera and would be struck by the mirror or a
>normal Canon camera. They rejiggered the mirror movement of the 300D so
>as not to hit it. Oly says that the lens needs to be farther away from
>the sensor plane to get the needed parallel rays for best image
>quality.

<SNIP>

Hmmm...I thought the rays needed to be perfectly perpendicular to the sensor!
;-)

-Stephen.