Re: [OM] Nikon scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon scanners
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:35:26 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Terry and Tracey wrote:

> Does anyone know how well the Nikon Coolscan IV goes with Kodachrome? I've
> heard scanners must be set to a special mode or response to accurately
> handle the Kodachrome film base.

I'm not at all impressed with mine.  I find that high contrast slides produce
significant flare and render the scan useless.  This happens even with ICE
turned off, with ICE on it's even worse.  It was so bad that I sent my
scanner in to Nikon to have it serviced.  They tweaked it a bit and made it
a little better, but I still find it unaccepable for Kodachromes.  The scanner
is great for E6 films though.  I wonder if the new Coolscan V is any better
with Kodachromes.
                                        -mark