[OM] Semi-OT/The Wright Centinnial, or "Flop in the Slop"

Subject: [OM] Semi-OT/The Wright Centinnial, or "Flop in the Slop"
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:52:58 -0600
Gee, I figured _someone_ here would have posted something about the
re-enactment of the Wright brother's first powered flight 100 years ago
at Kill Devil Hills, NC.  Could it be that no one else here was in
attendance?

Of course, as most of you probably know by now, the re-created Wright
"Flyer" _didn't_, due to wind (not enough of it at the right time) and
rain (too much of it at the wrong time).  Thousands of us waited all
day, literally soaked to the skin, hoping to witness the feat never the
less.

Security was extremely tight -- even tighter than that at the various
airports I passed through getting there.  As a result, I brought no
significant camera bag to protect the OM-4T and two zooms I hoped to
carry, and no tripod or even mono-pod -- I was traveling light, don't
you know!  When it became obvious that rain (not cold) was the critical
issue, I decided not to risk the good OM, choosing to carry a
weatherproof back-up, the Stylus Zoom 140, instead.  Good selection,
practically -- it _did_ get soaked, but to no harm of course.  Bad
selection, photographically, at least for the distant shots -- 140mm
wasn't enough, and hand-held shooting without a tripod just didn't cut
it either, sorry to say.  Never the less, I did get a few nice shots
indoors of the "Flyer" and the monument to the Wrights.  Still, my 24mm
f/2.8 would have been far preferable, but you know what you call a lens
that gets wet, don't you?  (Answer: "paperweight")