re: [OM] Inca Road

Subject: re: [OM] Inca Road
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:35:28 -0800

>I'm getting ready to do some research on the subject, but am curious if
>anyone on the list has hiked the Inca Road to Machu Picchu?  If so, what
>were your impressions, re. weather, numbers of tourists, difficulty of the
>hike, expenses, etc.  We are thinking about a family hiking/photo trip to
>Peru in May, and the main focus would be Cuzco, the road, and Machu Picchu.
>Dick

Dick, I've hiked this Inca trail and a few others. I might even have a
few photos if they weren't lost with some of my others. Highly
recommended. It is very stenuous, crossing a couple of very high 4000m+
passes on the way down, yes down,  to Machu Picchu. Things have changed
since I was there and now I beleive you must hire a guide and there are
a limited number of spaces. May could be iffy for weather, July-Sept
being generally better but more crowded. Probably it is not of general
interest to the list so you can contact me directly with specific
questions. It's been a while but things haven't changed too much.

Mike