[OM] Where Angenieux fears to tread?

Subject: [OM] Where Angenieux fears to tread?
From: Humbert Humbert <0humbert0humbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:15:18 +0100
Greetings O Wise Listers --

This OM newbie and list lurker is on family business in Paris and saw a local ad mentioning a secondhand Angénieux 35-70mm zoom f/2.5 in OM mount. I'm currently wasting film (newbie, OK?) with a nice Zuiko f/4 35-70mm ($100 near new on eBay with a few specks of dust inside) but I find it is a tad limiting in low light conditions with my favorite ISO 125 and 400 B&W film. Assuming it hasn't sold yet, the Angénieux is listed at 685 euros in EX+ condition.

Would anyone know whether this might be on a par with the nearly equivalent Zuiko Zoom 35-80mm/F2.8 that just sold at an ungodly price on eBay?

I vaguely remember reading Angénieux invented the zoom and a late British great-great uncle of mine who incorporated Angénieux optics into aircraft-tracking devices for the MoD used to swear by their products. OTOH, an online reviewer describes it as a poor man's Zeiss with pretty good glass but underwhelming fit and finish (http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Zoom/Angenieux,35- 70mm,f2.5-3.3/PRD_84505_3128crx.aspx. (For comments in Italian, see also http://www.nadir.it/ob-fot_piccolo/angenieux_35-70/default.htm.)

Yours curiously,

Philippe Dambournet (of sunny Houston, TX)
personal email: pdambournetAT@@earthlink..net