Re: [OM] Where Angenieux fears to tread?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where Angenieux fears to tread?
From: john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:25:12 +0000 (GMT)
Hi, I have the Angenieux lens you mentioned...picked up on e-b*y for about the
same sort of price you mentioned, in almost mint condition. It originally came
in a wooden? chest with a velvet storage bag and dedicated lens hood.
     The lens has a resin / polycarbonate body and marks tend to show. On the
other hand it is optically superb..No compromises here , and unusual in OM
mount. It is physically quite a big lens. Leica owners have been known to buy
them to convert them to Leica fitting....Nuff said!
     Now for the sad bit  :-(  My lens has developed a fault. On zooming there
is a definite resistance at about the 50m point along with a definite
clunk/click. I have been told this is at the point where 2 tubesmesh inside one
another.
     However Angenieux no longer make camera lenses and I cannot find a
reputable / reliable lens repair technician to sort it out.
         Until I do the lens is out of action..I am afraid of doing major
damage!  Regards, John Duggan, Wales UK.

>  from:    Humbert Humbert <0humbert0humbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  date:    Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:15:18
>  to:      olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  subject: Re: [OM] Where Angenieux fears to tread?
>
> Greetings O Wise Listers --
>
> This OM newbie and list lurker is on family business in Paris and saw a
> local ad mentioning a secondhand Ang?nieux 35-70mm zoom f/2.5  in OM
> mount.  Assuming it hasn't sold yet, the Ang?nieux is
> listed at 685 euros in EX  condition.
>
> Would anyone know whether this might be on a par with the nearly
> equivalent Zuiko Zoom 35-80mm/F2.8 that just sold at an ungodly price
> on eBay?
>
> I vaguely remember reading Ang?nieux invented the zoom and a late
> British great-great uncle of mine who incorporated Ang?nieux optics
> into aircraft-tracking devices for the MoD used to swear by their
> products. >

John Duggan,  Wales, UK.