Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:07:35 -0800
Perhaps even more important than the legs is the head. I found the Acratech
ball head to be noticeably more stable than the Bogen 3030 (and a couple
other Bogen heads that use the same quick release plates). The Acratech is
one of the lightest and uses the Arca Swiss style quick release. It appeared
to me that the quick release plates of the Bogen were adding noticeable
movement when using big glass. It's somewhat surprising that Bill didn't
point out something similar since the Kirk uses the Arca Swiss style quick
release clamp and he also uses the Tamron 400/4 with tele-extenders. I guess
as always YMMV. I'm sold on the Arca Swiss style quick release.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com has a biased but good discussion about
tripods and heads in the pdf catalog.

http://acratech.net/prod01.htm for a look at the acratech ball head

-jeff