Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:36:43 -0800
I have a 308RC, a 3030, and 3229 (which is on a monopod). It appeared to me
that the quick release plate (all three use the same plate) was a
significant part of the vibration and shifting. The rubber pad doesn't work
as well as metal against metal. Even the Manfrotto clamping mechanism seemed
to have a little play in it unless the clamp was forced shut with as much
effort as possible.  The Acratech ball head with Arca Swiss style quick
release plates is much more stable. I've never noticed any shift like I did
with the Manfrotto gear. I can still sometimes see vibration when using the
400/4 with 1.4x tele-extender but much less.

It's interesting that you are seeing the shift without using quick release
plates ... they seemed like the weakest part of the 3030 which also had a
noticeable shift. I only recall seeing a vertical shift not a left right
shift. The locking lever might be causing a twisting motion. If you could
replace it with a knob you might eliminate the left right shift.

If you carry two cameras, a quick release plate is almost necessary. If you
carry a long telephoto and are also shooting non-telephoto, the quick
release is almost necessary. With the Arca Swiss style plates the only cost
is weight and $. They seem to be much more solid than the tripod legs. I
only need a half dozen or so. I'm too much of a wimp to carry more tripod
mounted lenses than that anyway.   ;^)

The guy that sold me the Acratech works for B&H and uses large format. He
thought the Kaiser ball heads were pretty good. He replaced the Acratech
with a Linhoff leveling head.

-jeff